Is Olefin Carpet a Good Choice For You?
For more articles like this, click on Cleancare of Boulder Articles.
Olefin carpet is and probably always will be a popular choice in carpeting. You might also see it advertised as polypropylene. So why is it popular and is it the right choice for your home? Well that depends on what you are looking for.
Here are some of the advantages of Olefin.
1) The biggest advantage of Olefin is that it is very affordable. It is one of the lowest cost carpets out there which makes it a great choice if you’re carpeting budget is tight. Carpet can get very expensive very quickly.
2) Another advantage of Olefin is that it resists staining. Because it is solution dyed (dyed completely through the fiber) and absorbs almost no moisture it is very resistant to staining making it excellent for homes with kids. Can also work well for outdoor applications.
3) The final advantage is that it can not be bleached and will not fade from sunlight. This is, again, because the dye runs all the way through the fiber.
Olefin does however have many disadvantages.
1) For starters it has a strong affinity towards oil. This often results in dark traffic areas that are hard to clean. It holds fast to oil and can be impossible to completely clean. And it should never be put near garages or parking lots. We use a specially designed olefin cleaner at the Best Carpet Cleaner in Boulder, CO 80304.
2) Another disadvantage is that it is a soft fiber making it crush and mat easily. This results in a carpet that unfortunately can wear out quickly. Wear patterns nearly always occur making it look dirty. But cleaning won’t help wear patterns.
3) The final disadvantage is that it has a low melting point. This might not sound like too bad of a thing but Olefin carpet can be melted from friction caused from something as little as sliding a piece of furniture across the carpet. And broken vacuum belts often melt ugly black stripes into olefin.If you just need a basic carpet at a great price for your home or rental property, olefin might be the carpet for you. If you have kids, they probably won’t be able to stain it. However, it won’t be long lasting, will ugly out with wear patterns and will hold onto oily soils. You can help it last longer, however, by calling a quality professional carpet cleaner like the Best Carpet Cleaner in Boulder, CO 80304.