To neutralize urine, you will need an acidic product to offset the heavy alkaline urine salts that make up pet urine stains. The reason for this is that while uric acid in the body is indeed an acid, once it makes contact with oxygen outside of your animals body, it immediately turns to an alkaline material. Urine salts attract moisture and become a breeding ground for bacteria, mold and odor. You might notice that when it rains outside and humidity increases, your pet odor problems are more noticeable. This is an example of the urine salts attracting moisture.
The following is a great home remedy for cleaning pet urine stains in Boulder, CO. White vinegar is a fantastic acidic cleaner. Baking soda is great at knocking out bad odors. When combined, you have a very effective home remedy for cleaning pet urine stains in Boulder, CO.
What you will need:
1) Baking soda
2) White vinegar
Mix 1 to 1 mixture of water and white vinegar (Yes, Vinegar stinks. But it has no smell after it is dry). Usually 16 oz of water and 16 oz of white vinegar in a bowl.
3) Dry white rags.
4) Shop Vac
· After blotting up any excess urine, sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda over the soiled area so that entire area is white with baking soda.
· Pour the bowl of water and white vinegar solution directly onto the baking soda to create a mini cleaning volcano that will actively eat away at the stain.
· Let mixture sit for 5-10 minutes.
· Blot and rub gently dry with a soft white rag to agitate the area.
· Let sit for additional 5 minutes.
· Use shop vac to extract extra solution.
· Place box fan next to area for drying.
· After completely dry, there will probably be a powder residue. Vacuum area with your regular home vacuum the next day.
· If residual stain returns, spray 1 to 1 mixture and blot with dry rag.
Getting the area dry quickly is very important. Blot up as much moisture as possible and go over area multiple times with shop vac. Do not remove fan until completely dry.
If your problem persists or you have any questions about this home remedy for cleaning pet urine stains in Boulder, CO, call Ph.: 303-530-0646.