How To Get Hair Dye Out of Carpet. from Good Housekeeping
For more articles like this, go to Cleancare of Boulder Articles.
1. Mix one tablespoon of liquid hand dishwashing detergent and one tablespoon of white vinegar with two cups of warm water.
2. Using a clean white cloth, sponge the stain with the detergent/vinegar solution, blotting frequently with a dry cloth until the stain disappears.
3. Sponge with cold water.
4. Blot until the liquid is absorbed.
5. Sponge the stain with rubbing alcohol. Blot to remove the stain.
6. Sponge with cold water.
7. If the stain remains, mix one teaspoon of liquid hand dishwashing detergent and one tablespoon of ammonia with two cups of warm water. Sponge the stain with this solution. Leave it on the stain for at least 30 minutes, blotting every five minutes with a clean white cloth and more solution.
8. Sponge with cold water and blot dry.
If the hair-dye stain doesn't completely disappear on carpet or upholstery, use an eye dropper to apply hydrogen peroxide. (Test the hydrogen peroxide in a hidden spot for safety first.) Let dry for 24 hours, and then repeat, if necessary.
Be VERY careful. Test hydrogen peroxide in inconspicuous area for over 24 hours. Could fade color out of carpet fibers.