How To Remove Bad Pet Urine Odor Out Of Carpet In Erie, CO 80026 (Part 1).
1) Locate the odor source:
· If cat urine is the odor source, concentrate the search along a border such as a wall or piece of furniture, not in the middle of the room.
· A dog is more unpredictable in where it will deposit urine. A dog could favor a border like a wall or sofa, or the middle of the room.
· Generally speaking, cat urine odor is more difficult to remove than dog urine odor, but locating the source of dog urine odor is more difficult to find than cat urine odor.
· Look for visible evidence in the form of spots or discolorations. Visible evidence is not always present in urine contamination odors.
· Use a "black (ultraviolet) light" to locate the odor source. In a darkened room, the salts found in urine become fluorescent in the presence of ultraviolet light.
· The use of an electronic moisture detector is helpful in locating the sticky residues and moisture found in severe urine odor contamination.
The black light and moisture detector are two tools common in the carpet cleaning industry for finding urine deposits. The most available and practical method of locating urine problems is your nose. Don't be afraid to get down on your hands and knees to seek out urine problems.
2) Remove the odor source:
· For carpet installations over padding, the carpet should be disengaged from the tack-less strip and inspected from the back to determine the scope of the problem. There are times when the urine odor source can be located in the middle of the room, requiring furniture to be moved.
· Note do not attempt to treat a severe urine odor problem if you are not qualified to install new padding, tack-less strips or reinstall the carpet.
· For "glue down" carpet installations, the carpet cannot be disengaged. Any inspection needs to be done from the face of the carpet.
· Once the severity of the contamination is evaluated, the cost to correct verses the cost to replace the carpet can be determined. However, even if correction is more cost effective, contaminated padding and tack-less strips must always be replaced. Also, inspect the baseboards and wall for contamination and replace if necessary.
Watch for part 2 of this Article. It will show you how to clean pet urine out of your carpet.