How To Remove Grease From Carpet. from Stainmaster.com.
See our other helpful articles at Cleancare Articles.
Grease Removal Cleaning Solutions:
-Solvent-Based Cleaner:Use a non-flammable solvent-based cleaner or a liquid spot remover from the grocery store or hardware store. Use a solvent-type cleaner that is described by its manufacturer as being safe for nylon fabric or nylon carpet. Be sure to read and follow the label instructions regarding safe use, and never smoke or use an open flame in the vicinity of a solvent cleaner.
-Detergent Solution:Mix 1/4 teaspoon mild liquid dish soap with one cup warm water.
Grease Removal Procedure:
1. Scoop up and blot as much of the spill as possible. Vacuum up any dry particles.
2. Prepare suggested cleaning solutions above, beginning with the first one listed.
3. Pretest the cleaning solution on an inconspicuous spot of carpet to ensure it does not discolor or damage the carpet.
4. Apply the cleaning solution to the stain area. Note exception: Do not apply dry cleaning fluid directly to carpet. Apply first to cloth and use cloth to apply to carpet. Work from the outside of the stain toward the center. See video on removing grease.
5. Allow the cleaning solution to remain on the spill for at least five minutes.
6. Blot with a clean white cloth until no more stain transfers to the cloth. Do not rub the stain area or you might damage the carpet fibers.
7. Rinse with cold water. Be sure all cleaning solution is removed from carpet.
8. If you can still see the stain, repeat the process until either the stain is removed or the stain no longer transfers to the cloth.
9. If the stain remains, try the next solution on the list and follow the same protocol above. If the stain persists after trying each solution listed, contact a professional cleaner.
10. Once the stain is removed, place layers of white paper towel on the site to absorb any moisture. Weight down the towels with a non-staining glass or ceramic object. You can let them sit overnight.
When the carpet is dry, vacuum to restore the texture. If you are still not satisfied with the area, we're here to help at Cleancare.