How To Clean Vertical Blinds from How to Clean Stuff
For more articles like this, go to Cleancare of Bulder, Articles page
Fabric Blind Considerations
· Soaking fabric vanes will cause them to lose their sizing, fire retardant and soil repellent additives.
· Never use hot water to clean fabric vanes.
· To dry fabric vanes, never put them in a clothes dryer, wring them out, fold them over a clothes line or crush them. Instead, use a towel to gently remove any excess moisture. Then re-hang them and allow them to air dry completely. If you are concerned about water spots, a blow dryer or fan can be used to speed up the drying process.
Clean blinds weekly with a quick vacuum for easy upkeep. This will also minimize the need for more thorough cleanings and washings.
When in doubt, contact the manufacturer or dealership for additional cleaning advice. Vertical blinds can be an investment that is worth protecting and cleaning properly. There are also professional services that will clean you blinds for you. Professional cleaning is the right way to go in most cases with your carpets as well. Go to How to Find Carpet Cleaning in Erie, CO 80516 for more information.
Steps to Dust Blinds:
You will need:
· Dust or enzyme spray
Dusting vertical blinds regularly, as you do the rest of your home, will keep them cleaner longer. Use a duster that lifts the dust right off the blinds rather than on that moves it around, such as a rag. The Fuller Ostrich Feather Duster or Swiffer Dusters are good choices here.
1. Use a dusting detergent spray or enzyme spray on the slats to loosen dust.
2. Starting at the top, run the duster down to the bottom. Repeat for each slat.
3. Replace the duster and/or apply additional spray as needed.
4. If the blinds are especially dirty, it may be helpful to vacuum them first and/or follow the dusting with a good washing using the steps above.
Quick Dry Cleaning For Vertical Blinds:
You will need:
· Vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment
· Lamb’s wool duster (NOT a plastic duster)
· A rubber dry sponge (NOT a cellulose wet sponge)
· All-purpose cleaner in a spray bottle
· Clean, soft cloths
Steps to Clean the Blinds:
It is often easiest to clean vertical blinds while they are still hanging. This is true for vinyl, aluminum, fabric and wood. It is best NOT to take them down.
1. Use the brush attachment on your vacuum to gently remove any loose dust and debris. The brush uses less suction, so it is more gentle on the blinds. Start at the top and clean in a downward motion. If you brush upward, the slats may come unhooked.
2. Follow the vacuum cleaning with the lamb’s wool duster. Again, start at the top and work down the slats.
3. For fabric and vinyl blinds, use the rubber dry sponge to remove stubborn dust and residue the vacuum or duster has not removed.
4. For spot cleaning soiled areas, spray an all-purpose cleaner onto a clean, dry cloth and rub it on the spot. Never spray a cleaner directly onto a slat. Rinse by rubbing a cloth moistened with clean water over the area.