By Ken Strid, Owner of Cleancare of Boulder.
After you have a thorough professional carpet cleaning company like Cleancare of Boulder restore your carpet to a clean, fresh, soft and fluffy state, how do you keep it that way? Here are some professional insider tips to keep your carpet looking great in Boulder, CO. You can use these tips year round to help keep your carpet looking as fresh and clean as the day we professionally cleaned it.
1. Vacuum, Vacuum, Vacuum! As a general rule, vacuum traffic lanes 3 to 5 times per week. This will prevent dirt from settling into your carpet. Walking on dirt and grit that has settled to the base of the fibers causes an abrasive action, which results in the appearance of traffic lanes and worn areas.
2. Clean Up Spills Immediately. Clean spills before they become permanent stains. You may refer to our spotting guide online, which can be found on the link at the end of this article. This will provide you with directions on how to proceed in removing spills. We also have a number of videos in our Videos section on our website on how to clean various stains. See link below.
3. Have Your Carpet Professionally Cleaned on a Regular Basis. They should be cleaned every 9-12 months depending on the amount of traffic in the house (kids, pets, shoes allowed, etc.). Clean high traffic areas every 6 months or twice as often as the rest of your carpet.
4. Reapply Scotchgard® Carpet Protector EVERY Time Carpet is Cleaned to keep stains from setting and the soil from grinding in. Spills like the one above will bead on top of your carpet (like rain on a waxed car hood), giving you a chance to blot them up before they set down into the carpet fibers. More information can be found on our website under Scotchgard® Protector. See link below.
5. Place Walk Off Mats Inside and Outside Every Entrance To Your Home. Also, place mats at kitchen entry, as the hard floor surface in your kitchen has cooking oils imbedded into it after floating into the air off of your stove top. Placing a mat in these areas keeps outside dirt and cooking materials off of your carpet if all residents properly wipe their feet. You hearing me Fido?
6. Place Area Rugs on Top of Carpet at High Wear Areas, such as in front of sofa or chairs and entry exit points to carpeted areas.
7. Place Smooth Plastic Chair Mats Under Chairs in Front of Desks. This helps prevent carpet wear and delamination from chair wheels.
8. Remove Shoes When Entering Your Home. This takes some female policing efforts on husbands and kids.
9. Control the Circulation and Disposal of Food and Drink Through the Home. Again… female enforcement.
10. Use a Powerful Upright Vacuum with a beater brush and excellent filtration system for carpets. Be sure to replace the disposal bag or dump the dust bin often to ensure efficient operation. We highly recommend Dyson and Oreck vacuums, they are well worth the extra costs and in the long run will cost you less money as opposed to replacing a cheap vacuum. I’ve had an Oreck for 12 years and it still works as well as when I bought it. Orecks save your back as well because they are sooo light. Dyson is the most popular vacuum among my many clients.
11. Take Your Vacuum in For a Checkup at the vacuum repair shop annually to keep it operating at peak performance.
12. Have your Air Ducts Cleaned and also clean or change your furnace filter to keep your indoor air clean. Dirty air settles into your carpet.
So there you have our professional insider tips to keep your carpet looking great in Boulder, CO. For more information on carpet cleaning or spotting guide questions, call us at Ph.: 303-530-0646. To see more info on Scotchgard®, click here. For Cleancare Videos, click here.